Thursday, January 1, 2009

Thrifting For Charity

There are a number of ways that you could use the love of thrifting to help out in your community.

I love to volunteer my time at thrift stores I help them out and I get to search through all the goodies coming in to the thrift store on the days that I am there, I also get first shot at purchasing the wonderful items that come in.

Or if you don't have the time, why not donate all those items that you can't use and make some room in your home for all the things you do love.


I also find that you can get some great deals on winter items in the summer, just like a lot of the regular retail stores, this would be a great time to stock up on some winter coats and such at very good prices and then you can donate them to you community coat drive in the winter. This is a great way to make you feel warm also knowing that you can help someone else stay warm on a cold winters day. Last year I was able to purchase 8 coats for approx. $2.00 each that was less then one coat at a regular store, I saved them and used 2 coats for my own children and the rest was donated.

Another example of using thrifting for a good purpose is we had some severe flooding in our community a few years ago and there was a hard working family that lost quite a lot in the flood. The family are a very proud family of 7 and I knew that they might feel uncomfortable receiving charity from myself or at least I thought they might feel embarrassed, so I talked to several of the women in the thrift shop and we came up with this idea for a gift card to the thrift store it is a thrift store run by a church to raise money for charitable deeds, this family attends the church and we decieded to have a contest in the church with the winnings for the gift card as the winning prize, of course they rigged the contest with everyone that particpated was in on the idea and of course the family won. I really thought this was a creative solution for our problem and worked out great. This family really needed these items and it was wonderful that they were not put in a position that they would feel uncomfortable with.


I have a few other ideas to share with you I will be back later to add to this section, I really believe that this is one of the best and funnest ways to help out in the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment